- Birth defects are structural changes present at birth that can affect almost any part or parts of the body like heart , brain , foot, hands.
- They may affect how the body looks or functions . They can vary from mild to severe.
When does birth defect present ?
- Birth defects mostly present at the time of birth or within the first year of life. Some defects can be easy to see whereas some may be diagnosed only through certain tests and scans
Causes of Birth Defects
- Birth defects occur at any stage of pregnancy but mainly during the first 3 months of pregnancy . Some defects however may occur later during the pregnancy . some factors that increase the chances of having birth defects are
What treatment can Plastic Surgeons Team Provide at Clinic Eximus
Plastic surgeon team at Clinic Eximus is trained to provide pediatric plastic surgery options .
these can help to treat
- Congenital defects of scalp and palate like cleft lip , cleft palate , deformed skull
- Birth defects of the ears -deformed ears or no ears
- Birth defects of chest and limbs like misshapen chest and webbed fingers
- Birthmarks and scars
- Cosmetic surgery to improve child’s self image
Patient Care & Comfort is our Top priority.
That is the reason our family of patients has been continuously increasing since 2004
Birth defects detected during early screening can be discussed with the obstetrician and gynaecologist. Those that are detected after the baby is born can be discussed with the pediatrician, depending on the birth defect a specialist can be consulted in either case
The exact cause of intellectual disability cannot be pinpointed in most cases. Genetic causes like an extra chromosome due to accidents or mutations in the genetic material are the next best reason for it
Consuming 400 micrograms of folic acid every day during early pregnancy prevents birth defects of the brain and spinal cord by more than 70%.
- Neural tube defects can be prevented by consuming 400 micrograms of folic acid every day.
- Maintaining a healthy body weight by the mother (and not being obese) prevents heart defects in babies.
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASDs) that produces smaller babies with physical and learning disabilities can be prevented by completely avoiding alcohol during pregnancy.
Mono-chorionic twins are identical twins that have only one placenta but may have the same or separate amniotic sacs. Twins who tend to have a low-birth weight have an increased risk of conditions like mental retardation.
Get in Touch
88 Jagrtiti Enclave, Near Jain Heart Hospital,
Karkar Duma, Anand Vihar, Delhi, 110092